Why am I here: Because I worked with an incredible group of mentors and we learned many lessons together. I have since felt the call to share what I learned with others to help make their experience more enjoyable. Over the past decade, I have watched how the challenges of youth development team management has become increasingly exhausting for leaders, but the FIRST community offers so much opportunity to collaborate, grow, and build great leaders.
Why FIRST matter to me: My son found his people in this organization, and so did I. There are so many students who find a safe place to grow in this organization, to belong, and gain a support system. With a focus of Gracious Professionalism, they learn how to work together as a team to develop the best possible solutions. I want FIRST to be there for those students who continue to search for that group of people to laugh and grow with, to find opportunities to pursue their dreams, and learn how to make their impact in the world.
- 4-H Exploding Bacon Team 1902,
Website, Imagery, Outreach & Awards
Mentor, since 2011
Team Lead, 2016-2019
- The Green Machine Team 1816
Website Mentor, since 2020
- Volunteer & Judge, FIRST LEGO League, FIRST TECH Challenge, and FIRST Robotics Competition events since 2012
- Orlando Regional Planning Committee,
since 2019: website, digital graphics, and branding
- Tallahassee Regional Planning Committee,
since 2021: website, digital graphics, and branding
- FIRST Hall of Fame, Communications, website, digital graphics, and branding, since 2019
- Orange County 4-H, Board member and Treasurer, since 2020
Professional Web & Graphics Designer
- Graphics designer, since 1986
- Print Graphics & Promotional Materials
- Digital Media
- Branding & Identity
- Marketing, since 1991
- Management & Collaboration
- Project Management
- Website Design & Management, since 2001
- WHM & CPanel
- HTML, CSS & WordPress
- Web hosting
- Software Technical Proficiency
- Adobe: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Acrobat
- Microsoft: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Outlook
- Google Drive Suite: Docs, Sheets, Presentation
- Additional tools: Slack, Zoom, DropBox
- Masters in Public Administration,
Emphasis in Non-Profit Management
University of Central Florida, 1994
- Bachelors of Arts, Organizational Communication
Minor: Public Relations
University of Central Florida, 1990
- Bachelors of Arts, Political Science
University of Central Florida, 1990
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace Certificate, USF Corporate Training and Professional Education, Dec 2021
Thank you for joining us at the 2023 FIRST Mentoring Conference Survive and Thrive Workshops. If you have any questions, please email Elise at firstname.lastname@example.org or Wendy at email@example.com. We would love to hear your key take aways and/or if there are...
Thank you for joining us at the 2023 FIRST Championship Survive and Thrive Workshops. Below is a link to the slides from the Survive and Thrive workshops presented at the 2023 FIRST Championship. If you have any questions. You can email Elise at...
Your team branding is simply what makes your team YOU! This could include team colors, a mascot, your uniform, your team's mission and/or values. It is that extra special zest that makes you stand out as memorable in your community, to the judges, and other teams. Why...
What is Underappreciated critical information? A team's unappreciated critical information is only unappreciated as long as access to it is quick and uneventful. This information is found in a variety of areas for your team, any of which when you can not find can...
FIRSTChampionship 2022 WORKSHOP How to run a Sustainable FIRST robotics team and not lose your mind. Running a youth development organization these days includes a lot of moving parts: complex and challenging issues that can be stressful. Whether you are a...
The hardest thing for youth to go through and understand is that being different is not a setback, but a strength. Navigating FIRST and where the youth fits in is part of a mentor’s responsibility, but also the students. Students should feel comfortable with all...
There are a variety of documents a team may need to have to simply exist. A club form or charter proclaiming that you do exist within a group, bylaws with the rules to protect and run the organization, but what should a handbook have to be useful to the members of...
Are these terms interchangeable? No, they are not. Simply put, continuity is about the functions of surviving, and sustainability is about setting up your strategies to thrive. In the hierarchy of needs for organization health, the means to survive must be met...